Can you imagine your 3 year old engaged in a 60 minute art project? Yes it is possible and I will help you by sharing some tips. Use various textured papers for children to explore. In this project, children will apply markers onto glossy paper or finger paint paper. Children love how markers glide on the surface and it is less tiring for little hands. Glossy paper does not absorb ink as much as regular paper (such as bond and construction paper).
Friendly Reminder :). Allow children to take their time and to do as much on their own. If children decide to remove the wrapper from an oil pastel stick, I allow them to do so. This helps them strengthen their thumb and index fingers. It is also amazing to see how focused they are!
- Story about birds
- Oil pastels
- Tempera Paints (2 primary colors and white)
- Glitter glue tubes.
- Glue sticks (color glue sticks are fun!)
- Coloring page of a bird
- Cut out template of bird(s)and wings using finger paint paper.
- Cut out a branch using brown or black paper.
- 9×11 Watercolor paper or sturdy paper that will not curl up once paint is applied. As long as the sheet can fit 1 or 2 birds.
- Green masking tape. Tape borders of watercolor paper.
- Foam insect stickers
Young children love picture books and stories that are short and sweet. Here are some tricks to extending story time or if some children begin to get restless.
-Take turns to turn the page.
-Make the story interactive by asking children to count all the birds on the page, name the colors, or find a baby bird. These are some examples to help direct a child’s focus back to the book.
1. Apply oil pastels to coloring page of a bird. Optional to cut out bird. Place the bird aside.
2a. Apply markers onto glossy bird cut out.
2b. Decorate birds using adhesive rhinestones or stickers. Now you have 2 birds set aside.
3. Paint background on a 9×11 sheet.
4. Squeeze glitter glue onto painting and use a paintbrush to smear if desired(this will act as a glue and an added shine to the painting).
5. Attach birds and branches onto painting.
6. Add foam insect stickers.
7. Remove green masking tape and CHECK IT OUT!!
Let me know how it goes. Would love to hear from you.