LET’S MAKE A PARROT IN A CAGE
Art can be done indoors during a rainy spring day or under the parasol on a warm sunny day. This 90 minute lesson which includes physical activity in the beginning is optional. That is a wonderful activity that involves several tasks so kids are never bored! They will love looking through the sheet of acetate.
- Book about birds. I recommend First Encyclopedia series.
- Chalk board and chalk.
- Print out of any type of bird
- Acetate (transparent plastic)sheets
- Black bristol or construction paper. Precut shape of cage, and 3 strips for the bars.
- White Bristol or sturdy paper for the background.
- Glue sticks
- string or cord
STEP 1(30 minutes of physical activity)
Step 2 (15 minutes of Story time)
Read a book about birds. Look at visuals. Discuss body parts of birds, birds that fly, birds that do not fly…Children love sharing their knowledge of birds as well as learning new information.
Step 3 (45 minutes of Art time)
1. Practice drawing birds on a chalk board. A great way to erase and draw again. Use the coloring page as a visual.
2. Coloring the print out of bird. Cut. Place the cut out aside for now.
3. Glue on bird cage onto the sheet of acetate. Children can cut strips of black paper for the bars.
4. Glue on cut out of bird on the back side of the acetate.
5. Glue artwork onto a white sheet. Puncture a hole on the top of the cage and insert a cord or string.
Check out the masterpieces!!